Over the past two days I have encouraged leaders to pursue personal growth through five disciplines each day.
Today I round out my list of 15 Ways to Grow Your Leadership by 15%.
11. Brainstorm. A flip chart and a pack of colored markers might work wonders for your leadership growth. I’m guessing you could come up with several ideas, opportunities, projects, and stretch assignments if you would take a half hour to dream on paper. Brainstorming is a powerful tool to change a leader’s mindset.
12. Evaluate. Growth happens when we take the time to evaluate past performance and make adjustments. A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to provide coaching to a high level leader on her speaking. A couple of simple suggestions led to her delivering an amazing talk. Her willingness to seek an outside perspective and the courage to make changes were impressive.
13. Prune. Speaking of changes, the best thing some of us could do to enhance our growth would be to eliminate some things. A stop doing list can create capacity for us to start some better things. Things like making time for personal growth. Just as healthy plants need cutting back at certain times of the year, so do leaders. Are there a few things that are holding you back that you need to eliminate? If so, it’s time to prune.
14. Change. One of my cars is a manual transmission four speed. Whenever I change gears the car increases speed. What would happen if you changed gears in your leadership? It’s likely you would increase the speed you are growing. Don’t be afraid to make changes. To change is to live. If you’re not changing, you’re not growing, and in today’s high-speed world, soon you’ll be irrelevant as a leader.
15. Practice. If you want to get better and grow in the process, it will require practice. Repetition. Repetition. Repetition. Find someone who is tops in their field and you will find someone who is committed to practice. If you don’t know where to start, why not go back through the 15 Ways to Grow Your Leadership by 15%. They will require a lifetime to master, but rest assured they will produce continual growth.
So there you have it … 15 Ways to Grow Your Leadership by 15%. I look forward to hearing about your progress over the coming months.
If you have other suggestions to add to the list, drop me a note.
Leadership Begins at Home,
What other disciplines would you add to the list of 15 Ways to Grow Your Leadership by 15%?
Comment Below …
Randy is an author, speaker, executive coach, and the CEO of InteGREAT Leadership. He invests his time encouraging leaders around the world.